Sunday, December 17, 2017

Landmarks of Childhood

My childhood was defined by landmarks that started as boundary's of safety.  There was the end of your block when you were 5.  There was Diversey Ave, Fullerton Ave, Kilbourn and the railroad tracks when I was 10.  When I a young teen, it was defined my the neighborhood that all the kids from Barry School, their homes,  Marshall Fields, and where we played at Kelvyn Park and ice skated at Kilbourn Park.
As an older teen it became more about where you were not allowed, for example, Old Town where all the "hippies" hung out, downtown Chicago without a group.  We were allowed to go to Logan Square and 4 Corners for shopping, and Harlem Ave for roller skating and more shopping like Rolling Stones Records.  I have wondered what my son thinks of as the landmarks of his childhood growing up at Hard Rock Acres, on the Kishwaukee River, down the road from McQueen Forest Preserve, and west of Kirkland, Illinois

No comments:

Post a Comment