Tuesday, December 30, 2014

You've Been Ubbered





If you live near a large metropolitan area, you most likely are part of the sharing economy and have used Uber.  The share economy is growing with owners providing  services to  their peers by renting or trading out what they are not using.  There are DogVacay spots for your pet to stay while you are away.  There is RelayRides, Lyft or Liquid bike rentals to get you to your over night stay in say, a castle.  If you need a new outfit for the castle dinner you can use Poshmark to update to evening wear. I thought I was up-to-date with online shopping, social media and texting, instead of picking up the phone to call.  I grew up with checking the mailbox for letters and cards.  A phone that had a 20 foot cord so you could find privacy around the kitchen corner.  We use to meet and greet friends and family when they got off the plane at their arrival gate.  Eventually we evolved to waiting at the airport cell phone lot with curbside arrivals.  This Thanksgiving, instead of getting a ride to the airport, my son ordered me a ride to the airport, as he was not home, or in any condition to come home.  It was quick and efficient.  Sitting at the airport, I realized, there was no good-bye hugs, no parting I love you's, just a vague thought of, you have just been ubbered.



No comments:

Post a Comment