The last day of 2014 seemed like a good time to recognize women all over that have learned to think big and believe in themself. The Little League World Series this year was dominated by a 13 year old ace, and Mo'nee Davis captured the hearts of baseball fans with her 70 mph pitches and her shut out game. Even more than that, her desire to do well, be part of a team and work hard. Strong women come from all walks of life. You most likely see her in your mother, a teacher or your wife. I grew up with women like Gloria Steinmen, Ann Richards Queen Elizabeth, and Stevie Nicks. I grew up with a mom that worked in a man's world as a CPA, and learned about social justice, hope and equality from them all. I grew up believing that I could do anything, go to college, carrying a chain saw for a living, dig postholes, nail down the floor of our home when I was 7 months pregnant or fix the broken tractor. One of my best memories was coaching my son's first baseball team and that season we went 10-0. As my son grew up and left home, I missed hanging out at the baseball field, missed taking him ice fishing and learning together to tie flies for lures. "I throw 70 miles per hour -- that's throwing like a girl." Mo,nee throwing like a girl is a good thing, has been redifined and we can be proud that we have " Come a long way baby."
Wednesday, December 31, 2014
Throw Like A Girl
The last day of 2014 seemed like a good time to recognize women all over that have learned to think big and believe in themself. The Little League World Series this year was dominated by a 13 year old ace, and Mo'nee Davis captured the hearts of baseball fans with her 70 mph pitches and her shut out game. Even more than that, her desire to do well, be part of a team and work hard. Strong women come from all walks of life. You most likely see her in your mother, a teacher or your wife. I grew up with women like Gloria Steinmen, Ann Richards Queen Elizabeth, and Stevie Nicks. I grew up with a mom that worked in a man's world as a CPA, and learned about social justice, hope and equality from them all. I grew up believing that I could do anything, go to college, carrying a chain saw for a living, dig postholes, nail down the floor of our home when I was 7 months pregnant or fix the broken tractor. One of my best memories was coaching my son's first baseball team and that season we went 10-0. As my son grew up and left home, I missed hanging out at the baseball field, missed taking him ice fishing and learning together to tie flies for lures. "I throw 70 miles per hour -- that's throwing like a girl." Mo,nee throwing like a girl is a good thing, has been redifined and we can be proud that we have " Come a long way baby."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment