Sunday, June 27, 2021

M is for Myrtle

Momma died today, on a Sunday, June 27, 2021, before the worst of the Texas heat sets in.  

No, not my mother, not an ideal of motherhood, but my broody beautiful Myrtle. 

She was the first to greet me every day, came running to see what I was doing, did I have a treat for her, and hopefully it was cantaloupe, her favorite.  She would softly chirp when I said good night, always tuned into my presence.

 

    

                            This is Mama a Blue Orpington 

Orpington’s are considered a piece of art for the yard, but she is not just a pretty face.  Mama is the 

sweetest, snuggly and loving of all the chickens.  She is happy sitting on the eggs, keeping them warm and staying close to home, except one summer.  She made up her mind that I was not getting another egg and she was going to hatch them all.  It was almost 2 weeks before I found her stash.  I had to hid and watch where she was going.  She had made a nest a half acre away under a bush, and was spending time there. trying to raise a family. The neighbors though it was their own personal tv channel for chickens! 

She was the first chicken Payton connected with and let her pet her.  She use to love to be picked up and held. Then, the drama happened with the bobcat and Lillie disappearing.  I let the chickens free range and unfortunately between the Bobcat and coyotes, she had more than scare and I had to keep her and the other chickens in the run.  She was never as friendly again, she quit laying eggs, but still talked to me and paid more attention than the other chickens. I'll miss her.I knew I would, I could see her getting old, noticed she didn't move very fast any longer, stayed inside the coop most of the day.   Hope she had a good life here on Crystal Cove.

No comments:

Post a Comment