We have added two new chickens to our little flock. Myrtle a Blue Orpington and Carolyn a Cuckoo Maron. They are 6 months old and instantly seemed to stabilize the 4 months old in the pecking order. All 5 hens slept next to each other instead of Dottie having to sleep alone. This morning in the January rain, I took out not two, but three separate serving dishes of warm oats for the girls.
Chickens love oats and
they are a great source of vitamin B, calcium, protein and antioxidants. Warm
oatmeal is a treat for your flock. Oats have also been shown to reduce death
rates in flocks and improve their general health. Oat hulls to chickens'
diets can reduce pecking and aggression. Oats are proven to make chickens more
resistant to heat stress and exhaustion.
Baby chicks feed a ration of oats will
be healthier overall. Ground raw oats can also help clear up a case of pasty butt in
baby chicks, a potentially life-threatening condition often brought
on by stress or chilling.
One of the ways I like to
serve oats in the winter is in the form of oatmeal. You don’t have to cook the
oats, just heat up water and pour over the oats to moisten them. You can use Quaker Old-Fashioned rolled oats,
but you can also feed your chickens whole oats from the feed
store. I don't really measure anything out, I just plan on enough oatmeal
so each hen gets a nice treat, just enough to warm them up a bit.


No comments:
Post a Comment